Sunday, May 20, 2012

Morning Walk

Work doesn’t start today until 5:00pm, leaving time to enjoy some of Yellowstone midday.  After two days of cloudy, chilly weather, a light south wind has brought warming temperatures and a bright, blue Rocky Mountains sky. It's a welcome change.
Firehole River, just below Old Faithful geyser








I took a long walk in the Upper Geyser Basin right here at the Old Faithful complex. There are extensive boardwalks and paths that take you close-up to many geysers, pools and hot springs. Old Faithful is just that. Its eruptions are predictable, every 90 minutes +/- 10 minutes around the clock. Very convenient for the majority of visitors who make it this far into the Park, catch an eruption of Old Faithful "on the clock", and then have to leave for another Park destination.

Boardwalk through Upper Geyser Basin at Old Faithful
But, it is just one of many surprising and beautiful thermal features. Grand Geyser, for example, is harder to catch, with a once daily, +/- 2 hours eruption prediction.  There was a crowd of two dozen people patiently waiting on the benches as I went by. I saw its spectacular eruption an hour later from a considerable distance. The ones who stayed closeby on the boardwalk were well-rewarded for their patience.



Lion Geyser

 The wildlife was much more active with the improved weather. The chatter of different different birds filled the air. Away from the boardwalk on an adjacent trail, I watched two elk cows warily working their way upwind on a far ridge. Again, binoculars are essential equipment out here. I picked them up 400-500 yards away.

Elk on the ridge
Unlike the bison which wander seemingly unconcerned about a predator’s ambush, the elk are on high alert for bear or wolf. And unlike bison cows which give birth amidst other bison, elk cows seem to wander off on their own to have a calf in seclusion. I guess that’s what these two were doing. On the fishing trip here last June, I came upon an elk with her newborn calf in the narrows of Firehole Canyon. That calf was not more than hours old, still wobbly-legged. Amazing fortitude!





Heart Pool
Back to the sights in the geyser basin. You are completely surrounded by an endless variety of color, shape, texture. For the photographer, is this paradise, or purgatory? So many images to capture, yet where do you stop? Our own little point-and-shoot camera did not seem up to the task.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post Dan. I've figured out why so many of your friends haven't been commenting on your blog. We're all too old and can't figure out how it's done. I did but I can't figure out how to tell anyone how to do it. My best suggestion is to go to one of the icons above that look like, M B t f g+1, and click on the one that makes the most sense. "M" is for email, if you want to email Dan's blog to someone. "B" is for blog, if you want to blog like Dan. It gives you access to your blog, if you have one, or let's you start one. "t" is for Twitter, I don't, you don't, and it sounds like we shouldn't. "f" is for facebook. This let's you link Dan's blog to facebook. And "g+1" is for Google or your Gmail account if you have one or want one. This is the one I use to add these comments to Dan's blog. You also have other choices below under the "Comment as: Select profile..." menu. Again, I just use Google Account and I'm in. So, this narrative is just about over except to say........., START COMMENTING BACK TO DAN, PLEASE! HE'S LONELY OUT THERE IN YELLOWSTONE, if that's even possible. Thanks, TQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the deep dive into the everyday use of social networking, Manxman. I sure learned a thing or two.

      Not much room for loneliness here, not when Old Faithful Inn gets 500-600 new guests every day. In a normal season, about 35,000 people will stay at the Inn. Plus, the day-visitors who have a question answered. Almost all of them come up to the Front Desk.

      Plus, Heidi arrives on Friday to start her work here.

      Delete
  2. Dan,
    The writings are wonderful. I really enjoy them. I think it helps that I have been to Yellowstone 3 times in the past 5 years. I know all or most of the places you are talking about and the photos bring back the memories of the beauty. Beth and I have plans to return next year. For those who haven't been to Yellowstone let me tell a short story.

    About 12 years ago I took my Family to Disney World in Florida for a week. The kids loved it. A year or two later I took them to Alaska for a week and we rented an RV. A year after that I asked them if they would rather return to Disney World or Alaska. They looked at me as if that was the stupidest question I could have asked. "Alaska of course" was the reply. So I did. Since then I have taken my Daughter and her Fiance to Yellowstone. My Wife and Daughter agree that the Yellowstone and Alaska experience are different, yet so alike with the wilderness setting. In both cases you have to get off the road if you really want to experience it. So, any of you young enough to have kids, take them to Yellowstone and skip Disney World. You will be glad you did.

    Thanks Dan for sharing. Please don't stop writing.

    Chris Booth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan's not lonely... let me count the fish ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No fish, Mike...yet:) Fishing in the Park opens Saturday.

      Might get to fish the Between the lakes section of the Madison outside the Park tomorrow. I'm hoping it will be in much better shape than the muddy runoff day last week. The weather is back to chilly again. Won't be much snow melting for next several days.

      Delete
  4. Great anecdote, great advice, Chris. I've already seen a few wonderful episodes of parents introducing their children to the wonders of Yellowstone. Explaining Old Faithful; pointing out the bison; walking them into the lobby of the Inn.

    The getting-off-the-road part is key, isn't it? I think I had seen Old Faithful geyser three times while on fishing trips here. They were all of the "drive up--catch the next eruption--drive away" variety. This season, I've already had time to get out into the huge Upper Geyser Basin that's here. Surrounded by the sights, sounds, and smells of donzens of thermals, looking across the basin to Old Faithful Inn set against the ridgeline is an altogether different experience.

    ReplyDelete