Friday, May 11, 2012

Road Trip Lodging

Interstates are great for making time and covering long distances on a road trip. But, they hide the local countryside and landscape from view.  

KOA, Hardin, Montana

So, I found my lodging away from the highway exits for the five nights. I didn’t earn any national-brand frequency points, never once found a chocolate on my pillow. But, it sure made for interesting views of America.

Cedar Pass Campground, Badlands National Park





Weather was good enough to tent-camp for two nights. Another two nights, I slept in sleeping cabins (supply your own bedding, bathhouse facilities). Tornado warnings chased me into more secure shelter for the night in southwest Minnesota, where I stayed at a mom/pop motel in Fairmont, population 14,000.

Best deal was camping in the Badlands National Park for $8. Highest price was in Gardiner, Montana, where $60 for a sleeping cabin proved I was on the doorstep of Yellowstone National Park.
Rocky Mountain Campground, Gardiner, Montana
















Best locale was the Badlands, not only for the fantastic landscape and wildlife but also for the American West history that oozed from the town of Interior, South Dakota.
City Limits, Interior, South Dakota

I learned to really like KOA campgrounds: dotted all along the interstate; reservation system; always clean/well cared for; free wifi, hot coffee, and USA Today in a newsstand.

1 comment:

  1. Nice narrative on your trip to YNP. Another interesting way to see America is by train. It's a lot quicker than by car but better than the interstate. I took the train to Glacier NP back in 1967 and stayed awake all night long, going into little towns, seeing a different part of our country. Sounds like you had a great adventure, even the tornado warning.

    ReplyDelete